Monday, October 8, 2007

I was wrong!

Last week I falsely accused Justin of saying something on a video blog post that was not even there. Oh, my ears heard it, but it wasn’t there. I could say it was just an honest mistake that the combination of the dialog and the music sounded like something was there. But why did I feel the need or that it was my responsibility to point it out?

Why do any of us feel the need to comment on others blog posts? Is it for their “edification”? Or that it’s our “duty” as Christians to point out what we think is wrong?

Maybe it’s to make us feel important, to feel like we know what is being talked about.

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not at all implying that every comment is negative and meant to demean the poster. I’m saying that for me I realized, a bit to late, that I spoke before I really listened. I commented before I really looked into it. I thought I knew what I was talking about and I thought everyone else should know it to. But at what cost and to what end? What good did it do? The only good it did was to help me realize that I don’t know everything and that it not up to me to make sure everyone else does. It's to late to undo the damage that was done, all I can do is apologize.

I make a mistake.

I judged.

And I was wrong.

4 comments:

anita said...

does this mean you don't want me to comment anymore on your blog? jk

i like your blog. i like your honesty. keep writing.

Dave said...

no, i welcome your comments and anyones elses.

i hope something i have to say can encourage someone.

you encourage me!

Anonymous said...

thanks for your honestly.
it seems to be either a very over-used (and abused) or non-existent thing these days...especially in the world of technology where one is able to get away with so much more without the accountability/confrontation of face-to-face interaction.

i think "christian duty" falls on a very thin line...and if anything, should be reserved for more private ways of confrontation (ie personal emails/face to face/phone/etc) than the world wide web. :)

this topic is something that could be discussed on a vast ground...

Dave said...

If I was wrong in writting, I will admit it and apologize in writting, as well as in person. Justin and I sat down and talked face-to-face before I wrote anything.

I did this because it was the right thing to do, reguardless of others opinions. And for that reason only. I do nothing just out of "Christian Duity".

And I agree there could and should be alot more discussion about honesty and admitting our mistakes.